Tuesday, July 19, 2005

General William Westmoreland Dies

Retired Gen. Westmoreland dead at 91 of natural causes. Notice the opening paragraph from the Associated Press:
COLUMBIA, S.C. - Retired Gen. William Westmoreland, who commanded U.S. forces during the Vietnam War from 1964 to 1968 and advocated a strong military buildup at a time when American casualties were mounting, has died.
Do the words in bold sound like a final "shot" at the man? I think it might drive home what he said the the Associated Press in 1985:
“I have no apologies, no regrets. I gave my very best efforts,” Westmoreland told The Associated Press in 1985. “I’ve been hung in effigy. I’ve been spat upon. You just have to let those things bounce off.”
What do you think? I believe what he has continually stated since retiring and know that many Vietnam Veterans feel the same way -- not putting it as politely as General Westmoreland:
“It’s not that we lost the war militarily. The fact is, we as a nation did not make good our commitment to the South Vietnamese.”

No comments: