Saturday, August 28, 2004

Health Insurance System - Broken?

Michelle Malkin: AMERICA'S BROKEN HEALTH INSURANCE SYSTEM

Recently becoming familiar with Michelle Malkin I have been reading several of you archived articles and weblog. Yesterday she had an entry about "America's Broken Health Insurance System" (linked above). I Agree with her assessment and there is a need to reform the health care system. However, I do share concerns about a government-run system.

Many laymen have used German and Canadian healthcare system as examples of what we should to in discussions with me. I personally have issues with this since I have close Canadian friends and relatives whom are German citizens. These two governments have health care systems that seem wonderful; however, when the government runs low of money YOUR health care suffers. Unless you are able to pick the time you become sick this is not an idea environment. In addition, in my opinion a Government sponsored health care system leads to Euthanasia debates.

Although, I will respect my parents if they choose to have a "living will" and expect my wife to honor my wishes; I do not believe this choice should be up to any doctor or Government. Taking this freedom, the basic belief of this country, will lead to our downfall.

So what do we do? I believe that some type of "Health Care Savings" might be a good plan, but I do not pretend to be an economist or health care expert. I do know that John Kerry has proposed a plan that I am not willing to fund.

Having been placed in the same position as Michelle recently (five months ago) I have become more aware of the problem. My wife and I choose COBRA at nearly $1,000/mth, but it allowed us to keep a very good insurance plan and the all-important continued coverage.

In studying this issue, I have found another interesting point. Physicians charge the premium on every procedure to ensure that they receive the max benefit from the insurance company. This actually hurts the uninsured and there is a lawyer, although I cannot remember his name, which is bringing class action suits against many hospitals due to this.

I will try to explain. Upon arrival I may need an X-ray, the doctor charges me $125 but my insurance only pays a $80 benefit and the doctor gets his $80 and I am set; however, an uninsured patient will be required to pay $125. This hardly seems right! I can currently afford insurance but some cannot and they end up paying 56% more than my insurance company.

There are other things to consider in health care. We all know business and the expense of operating a medical facility is astronomical. The key factor is insurance and what the possible result of a malpractice suite may be. Living in Mississippi I am aware that gynecologists are becoming scarce in Mississippi, because of the ease a malpractice suite can be won and the large sums rewarded. Mississippians are actually running gynecologists out of the state. Should we not limit awards or in some way make it where accounting does not come in to play on weather a physician should fight a bogus case.

So now, we have the billing practices of the physicians, the expense of doing business as two of the large problems, and the astronomical insurance cost to the patients. What type of regulation can there be that would appease someone like me who wants to limit government and likes competition while at the same time appeasing liberals? I do not propose to answer this question; however, I believe the politicians should be discussing this.

On the domestic side of this campaign I believe in addition to domestic/internal security health care is the single most important topic that affects all Americans. But, in closing while listening to FoxNews I heard and "expert" suggest we "force" those that do not have insurance to pay for insurance: I AM AGAINST THAT!

No comments: