Sunday, August 29, 2004

More on Health Care

I noted my thoughts on the need to improve the health care system after reading a weblog entry of by Michelle Malkin. I have just looked over some responses to Paul Krugman article in the New York Times.

The more I think about this I see several issues. I believe we need a true number of those uninsured; meaning those that can afford health insurance and choose not to get it should be subtracted from the number. We all know seniors have no prescription coverage, which should be fixed immediately and quite honestly, I know that with pharmaceutical companies give coupons and free trials and should be able to give a "senior discount"; this would be as step in the right direction. Senior discounts would also be a wonderful public relation tool for the pharmaceutical companies!

Further, as I stated in my previous note we must do something about the way physicians and hospitals bill. There is absolutely no reason that a person who cannot afford insurance pays 56% more than my insurance company does. I believe this is pure laziness on the part of the hospital and doctor administrators or their greed.

The more I dwell on this issue the more firmly I am against Government-run health system. Government is already in too many aspects of my life and decision making processes. Similarly, I believe we should have a larger choice in our insurance provider giving way to more competitive pricing. For example, insurance providers compete between several companies, but what would happen if they had to compete between all of those companies’ employees?

This comes to a Health Care Savings Plan; but I see employers attempting to get out of spending anything on health care and most would not compensate the employee. I believe we should be able to come up with a plan that would require employers to give employees a portion that could only be paid to an insurance provider. Why could an employer not keep an account that received $2.50 for every $10.00 earned, for argument sake? The employee could use this fund to choose and pay an insurance provider of their choice and I believe this could be done all electronically or at least a large portion... This is an idea but I would love to hear what others of you think. I truly believe that this could result in competitive pricing which would keep with American principles of freedom.

No comments: