Saturday, January 22, 2005

Outlook on Life

After reading many opinions on President Bush's inaugural speech I feel I know the writers outlook on life; how they feel about their life.

William Safire: Content
I rate it among the top 5 of the 20 second-inaugurals in our history. Lincoln's profound sermon "with malice toward none" is incomparable, but Bush's second was better than Jefferson's mean-spirited pouting at "the artillery of the press."
[…]
It takes guts to take on that peace-freedom priority so starkly. Bush, by retaliatory and pre-emptive decisions in his first term - and by his choice of words and his tall stance in this speech, and despite his unmodulated delivery - now drives his critics batty by exuding a buoyant confidence reminiscent of F.D.R. and Truman.
Richard Reeves: Miserable
Listening to Bush this time, I realized I'll never be as big a man as Herb Block. What I heard was my president declaring war on the world, concluding: "America, in this young century, proclaims liberty throughout all the world and to all the inhabitants thereof ..."
[…]
"I ask our youngest citizens to believe the evidence of your eyes. You have seen duty and allegiance in the determined faces of our soldiers. You have seen that life is fragile and evil is real and courage triumphs. Make the choice to serve in a cause larger than your wants, larger than yourself ..." Is that not exactly what fundamentalist mullahs are asking of their children? Is this not our jihad?
David Brooks: Happy
Bush's inaugural ideals will also be real in the way they motivate our troops in Iraq. Military Times magazine asked its readers if they think the war in Iraq is worth it. Over 60 percent - and two-thirds of Iraq combat vets - said it was. While many back home have lost faith, our troops fight because their efforts are aligned with the core ideals of this country, articulated by Jefferson, Walt Whitman, Lincoln, F.D.R., Truman, J.F.K., Reagan and now Bush.
[…]
And we're reminded once again that this country has grown rich, powerful and effective not because its citizens are smarter or better, but because the ideals bequeathed by the founders are practical and true.
Just some observation; I have always associated the "Bush hating" and the "red state hating" with much more than a pessimistic outlook, I believe these individuals are simply miserable looking for a "cause" to left their spirits and soul. These individuals happiness seems to depend on who is in the oval office - an individual that in our governmental structure occupies the least powerful of the government branches… I choose to put my faith, my happiness, my future in the hands of someone much more powerful then a single human being and I believe this scares the far-left faction of the Democratic party, but why should it.

No comments: