Friday, March 18, 2005

What a Mom!

TheDenverChannel.com - News - Mom Sues Hospital Claiming She Nursed Wrong Baby
What a mom -- trying to collect the child's college fund early and without any personal sacrifice. Read the story -- I do not dispute a mistake was made; in fact one of the offending parties was so upset she became emotional -- but wait this error can pay for the child's college or maybe a new car, house -- lottery time! The mother states the accident, which was easily rectified because of proper procedures [the bracelet], "traumatized" her to the point of filing a lawsuit. If this was traumatizing maybe she should give the child up for adoption, because if this child puts her through half the things I put my mother through -- mom will have no less then a dozen nerves breakdowns... No, we don't need TORT reform -- RIGHT!!
A Thornton woman is suing the hospital where she had her daughter, claiming nurses got mixed up and brought her the wrong baby to breastfeed.
Lisa Johnson said it happened last October at North Suburban Medical Center.
Johnson's daughter, Emily, was born with light blonde hair. The new mother said she tried for 10 minutes to breastfeed a baby the nurses thought was hers and was wondering why the baby wouldn't latch on when she finally made a closer inspection.
"And then when the back of the cap was raised up, I could see there was brown hair, and I panicked and took the whole cap off," said Johnson.
"I immediately freaked out and screamed, 'This is not my baby,'" Johnson said. "Then they checked the bracelets and the nurse started to cry and said, 'Oh my God, I can't believe we did this, I'm so sorry."
Johnson demanded to talk to the other baby's mother, Tasaya Reilly.
"I wanted to make sure what they were telling me was the truth," she said.
This little girl was given to the wrong woman, her mother says.
Reilly said the hospital staff told her right away that her baby went to the wrong room but only for 2 to 5 minutes.
[...]
Johnson and her husband are suing the hospital, claiming it was negligence. They are asking for unspecified damages. Johnson said she's been traumatized by the event, has been unable to work and has been diagnosed with post traumatic stress syndrome.

No comments: