Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Got Some Catching UP to Do

Unfortunately I have had a serious bout of stomach ailments --
having cat scans, MRI(s). etc., etc., etc.... I have a question for the
readers here. Have you ever gone to see a doctor and told him/her
exactly what is wrong only to be told it could be this or that and told
how this could causes serious problem up to and including death? You
give in to their request to participate in the testing because you will
not get the medicine you know you need (know will cure it) until they
verify and your wife is now terrified (at least she loves you)? Now we
do the testing -- feeling miserable, unable to walk standing straight,
and on no medication -- you waste an entire day unable to go to work
and know that if you were correct you could have been back to work
tomorrow, but NO now you will have to miss yet another day.

After this excruciating day it is discovered, what do you know, that
you were exactly right and the doctor gives you the exact treatment you
requested... I will not go into the added expense of unnecessary test
really because it does not affect me as it would others.

My point -- is there something to be said about the patient knowing
themselves? Should a doctor acknowledge -- “gee, you were correct”
after all it is called practicing medicine? I realize that in many
cases one can complain of "under treatment" but does this example of
"over treatment" represent the fear of lawsuit if the "possible"
complications come to past?
Awe, guess I am just rambling -- guess the pain killers are getting to me -- just wish they would put me to sleep.

No comments: