Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Racism in US not Bad

My wife and I are of different races and do get the occasional stares; however, we do not instantly believe those staring hate us. We prefer, if the opportunity presents itself, to approach and give a nice "hello how are you"; if further given the opportunity we will have a conversation. To assume the individual simply "hates" us and then "hate" them back make all parties ignorant!

I do want to be clear - there is ignorance in all races about racism; so yes racism does exist across all races and is not limited to black and white. Simply ask an older Korean, Chinese, or Pilipino how they feel about the Japanese; you might be shocked by the hate that could come out of their mouth - Turks and Greeks or Germans!

My problem racism is portrayed as such a problem in this country when in fact it is much worse in many other countries; one word genocide - how many times have your heard this, recently?

I believe racial tolerance in American though not perfect is much better then almost another place in the world and the word "racism" is simply used for shock value. The media itself promotes racism while condemning it - amazing. I realized this many years ago after a "cult multi suicide" outside San Diego - the realization hit me like a brick and I wondered how I missed it.

While talking about the number of humans that died the media gave a race and gender breakdown. I thought about it and I challenge you to listen to tragic stories reported they will give you a race, religion, gender, and anything else they can think of breakdown - Heck, they did it after 9/11 to the best of their ability using percentages mainly.

If a medium really seeks racism to become a memory would they not simply report "xxxxx" Americans or human beings died in a tragic ………………….., instead of "x" blacks, "x" whites, "x" males, "x" Asians died in a tragic……………..and the reason there were more "whites" is because…………………but the male number was high because…………………..!" Give me a Break - racism is promoted by the media and politicians! In my opinion anyone that believes racism is so much worse in the United States simply needs to travel and talk to the people not just see the sites. You see other countries know it is ugly to and don't promote it like the good ole USA.

No comments: