Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Microsoft Does it Again

Well it is tax time and as usual I cash in on all the rebates offered by many software companies - this is the time of year I get my new finical programs, Anti virus program, Adware blockers, etc…

Well this year Money was a real pain - it would probably be great for a "new customer" but upgrading years of data and changing the way we get updates really caused me head aches. It assigns a new account for your online accounts that you are then suppose to "merge" into the one account. For example, by the time I set up my updates from bill payment services, banking services, and had my actual accounts in the MY file I had up to three accounts - now you merge.

Well it duplicated transaction over the last six or so months - not to mention that my bill pay service put pretty much every "check" I had written over twelve months. After the merge - I could have claimed bankruptcy. So I deleted the duplicate transactions; OOPS, the ones in the money file actually had categories assigned - the ones from the bank and bill m payment service didn't, causing the inability to track spending past yesterday….

Fixed this problem - but there is another - the bill payment service continued to update past "checks" unless the transaction I left in the "money file" had it's (bill payment services) link (actually this is not a bad thing since you want to be able to track the payment)…

Basically a real headache and I did voice my concern to support -to the point I wanted to know how to revert my file back to the older version. But being interested in "growing" I stuck with it and now believe I have it working properly! Send me an e-mail before you upgrade because what appears to be "an easy" fix ain't and the support has no clue what we are talking about with duplicate transactions which is the results of turning off online updates, which is required to establish new accounts, and turning them back on.

The set up was a pain - I will let you know how the program actually works!

No comments: